Thursday, April 14, 2011

Completing IOE & Now Leaving for Houston...

This past weekend I completed my IOE (Initial Operating Experience) where I had flown to California for the weekend and had an instructor observe me on an Actual Aircraft as the flight attendant working the plane for 3 days. I was so nervous to go on my first trip but it was such a great experience! I had an amazing instructor and awesome crew. Their were a few funny things that happened... as I was doing service for the first time, I had asked a lady 4 rows from the back if she would care for something to drink. She asked me if I had tomato juice and I said yes. Right as I poured her a cup and was just handing her the glass, we hit a sudden pocket of turbulence. I literally had it over her head and was going up and down, up and down and up and down as the turbulence hadn't settled. I had a look of sheer terror in my eyes as I tried to get the glass over my cart without spilling all over this poor woman. Thankfully, I was able to get it back on my cart without spilling a drop and as I looked up, the entire back rows of the plane were starring at me in amazement that I hadn't spilled. It was as if they were all about to start clapping. I looked over at the woman and said, "I am sooo glad I did not spill that all over you!" and gave a big sigh.... then continued on with my service.
Later on the flight as I was collecting trash... A young man (about mid to late 20's) handed me a piece of paper which I assumed was just garbage. He asked that I take it and to please consider. I said of course (once again, assuming it was trash). As I got back up to the front of the plane, I realized that the man handed me a note. Not just any old note,... a Love note! It read, "Karissa, You are absoluting Stunning! I would love it if we could go for coffee sometime, please call me or if you are more comfortable, you may email me as well. I live in LA but would fly anywhere to see you really :) Sid". I couldn't help but smile when I read his note and I had to share it with my instructor, Rocky. He read it and laughed out loud and said, "Get used to it Girl!" So that was my first love note experience from one of my passengers which I got quite a kick out of. After we landed, Rocky insisted I tell my pilots about the love note. I told them and after the next leg was over, my pilot walked by me and handed me a piece of paper as he passed by. It read, "Dear Ms. Knebel, Raul (the first officer) and myself are in awestuck by your amazing beauty. Would you please please please considering coming with us on a date to the in-and-out burger for dinner? I live in Fresno, CA but would be willing to travel to Houston to see you anytime. Yours Always, Rob and Raul xoxo" Needless to say, my pilots made my day that day and were such a fun group to fly with. My layovers were in San Fransisco, San Diego and LA. After my last trip of the day, my instructor congratulated me and told me I will make an outstanding flight attendant and passed me on my IOE. My first trip was a successful one! I made my way home to Milwaukee and started packing up my house in two days. Thank God for my brother Chris, I wouldn't have been able to do it without him. We moved all my big pieces of furniture out of my apartment and loaded up one of my dad's mini vans. We were supposed to leave wednesday but my apartment in Houston will not be ready to move in until friday so we decided to stay one more day. If you would like to check out my new apartment, you can view it at wildwoodforest.com. I am moving in with another flight attendant that I actually roomed with in Salt Lake City for training. She is a sweet girl and we get along great! We got a 2bedroom/2bath apartment and the grounds are really beautiful. Their are lots of pools and palm trees! So if you are ever in the Houston area, please stop by and visit! :) Jon, Chris, Dad and I are all going to head down to Houston this afternoon and we should arrive there tomorrow, early evening. I will continue to update you all through my blog and pleased pray for us for a safe trip. Love you All! XoXo

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I loved reading your blog! I am also a new Flight attendant based out of PHX My IOE is tomorrow and I am extremely nervous. My IOE instructor seems really nice and told me to pack a bathing suit. I wish you the best of luck with your career.

    ReplyDelete